Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

日本の四つの季節その1.5:梅雨 (にほんのよつのきせつそのいってんご:つゆ) - The Four Seasons of Japan 1.5: The rainy season

梅雨 (つゆ - tsuyu) usually runs for most of June and the first half of July, lasting for about 40 days. It isn't really considered a season in its own right, which is why I'm putting it as a ".5" - a mini-season during the transition from Spring to Summer. 梅雨 literally means "plum rain", because it coincides with the plum season. I find the name misleadingly gentle, bringing up images of gentle spring rains. Instead, I got to school so soaked this morning that I had to wring my socks out in the sink. I think a better name would be "doom rain" or "bring a spare set of clothes rain".

I don't think even the most optimistic people have too many positive things to say about 梅雨 - it manages to combine the most dreadful elements of the other seasons. Despite the soaking rain, it's still hot and unpleasant. The best word for it, I think is 蒸し暑い (むしあつい - mushiatsui), meaning "humid" or "muggy" - on the really bad days, it's hard to tell where your sweat ends and the rain starts. I'd definitely advise against coming over in the thick of it if you can help it. If not, invest in a good umbrella and some towels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions or additions, I would love to hear from you. I may not know the answer, but I'll do my best to find out in any case! You can post anonymously if you like, but abusive/unintelligible/inappropriate comments will not be published.